Thursday, January 23, 2014

The mid-week in review: January 23rd 2014

I know the mid week review should have been done yesterday to keep consistency with last weeks but, nothing inspired me to write it last night. But, now though as I sit in my room on a sunny Thursday afternoon looking at the snow covered lawns outside. I find myself inspired to write. This is the first week in almost a year where I haven't had to work in the mornings so I have been taken advantage of it by sleeping later, eating a nice breakfast, and actually keeping up on shows I watch. Sure I would prefer to be working right now, making extra cash to keep up with the bills, but for right now it's nice to slow down for a little bit. This week is my recharge week. Next week will have more structure to it and more job hunting as well.


New Jersey got hit with over a foot of snow on Tuesday that, combined with super cold temperatures has created another 'Polar Vortex.' This has lead to me working alone in the office in the afternoons with barely anything to do and getting addicted to a new game I got on Steam. It's called 'Papers, Please' a simulator where you play a border control guard in a dystopian communist country. Checking papers and passports of people trying to get into your country. They bill it as 'A dystopian document thriller' and they are right. It's simplistic in it's design but the story is deep and moving. Your job is deciding who can enter your country and sometimes you have to say no even though the person is begging you to let them through. It's a great way to see what it must have been like for people trying to enter Eastern Blok countries during the cold war. It's worth picking up at $9.99 on Steam. I played it for a few hours and it drags you in very quickly.

I've been enjoying writing more and more since getting my new Macbook Air. I know the computer is no excuse for why I write more now but between that and writing more regularly I find myself feeling more engaged with the writing. For a long time I didn't have much to write about, I was stuck in ruts, and had no real reason to write. This year though it's different. As I write more and more I find myself enjoying it. Writing regularly is keeping my mind focused and it has also kept my creativity up too. I have already written more post in the month of January then I did for most of last year! If I keep this up, who knows what will happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment