Saturday, August 6, 2016

Twin Elephant: The hometown brewery that feels like home



I've always been a fan of the environments, the people, and the stories behind microbreweries. Each one has a different story, each one is unique, and each one wants to create amazing beer for the masses. Till recently my hometown didn't have a brewery to call its own. That changed in May of this year when Twin Elephant Brewing opened its doors to the locals of Chatham Borough. For the first time in our towns history we had a brewery.


On May 7th, Twin Elephant opened for the first time and I'll admit I was nervous to try their beer. This was a brewery in my hometown. You hope it will be good because then you have a sense of pride but if it isn't what happens? Do you fake your love for it since its local or do you just let it fade away without a care? I was the 4th person in line that day to try their beer for the first time and I will tell you from that first sip I was in love. The beer was amazing I'll admit I cried a little because for the first time ever their was a place in my backyard that made something I love. I've been to breweries all over and have tried hundreds of amazing beers but this was the first time I was enjoying a beer made at home.


In college I wrote a paper on the microbrew industry in America, and one area I focused on was the impact of craft breweries on the communities they are in. One thing that stood out in all the articles I read was the sense of pride locals had for their brewery. I felt pride when I had Twin Elephants beer for the first time and every time I've been there since.

Tim, Scott, and Cindy have created a place to be proud of. Not only for themselves, but for the community of Chatham Borough. They all take pride in every beer they make and you can tell their passion is genuine. Each week brings with it new beers for the masses that are made with the passion for experimenting as well as creating something to be proud of.

It's that passion that makes me feel proud to say we have a brewery in my hometown (conveniently less then 5 minutes car ride from my house I might add!). Stop by on a Friday or Saturday and you'll see people there from all different backgrounds enjoying the local beers. From blue collar workers, to business people, to beer geeks, and families no one ever feels out of place here. Which makes it a real communal place. A place where you can enjoy a pint with your friends, maybe see people you haven't seen in a while, or even catch up on whats going on in town.

Twin Elephant is now a part of our town and I myself am glad it's here. So cheers to the future of Twin Elephant. (When you stop by tell them Christian sent you.)

(PS Tim, Scott, and Cindy consider this my application. I'd love to help Twin Elephant grow and become the best brewery it can be.)

No comments:

Post a Comment