Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The mid-week in review: January 15th 2014

Sitting here in my room, enjoying a nice beer, and thinking about what to write today I find myself not 100% sure what to write about. Maybe I can tell you that the beer I'm drinking is a new rye style brew from Yards. It's got a strong rye taste and a simple name 'Rye.' Maybe I can tell you that I'm doing all of my writing now from my new Macbook Air, after 6 and a half years of using my Macbook Pro I figured it was time to get something new. It's battery is amazing and I love the way the keys feel while I type. I see a lot of writing in this computers future.


My office space.
Maybe I can talk to you about another change in my life, after almost a year of work I'm ending my contract with the insurance company.  I was hired for a  project that originally was supposed to take a total of 60 hours to complete but instead
turned into a 11 month undertaking. On one hand I'm sad to leave but on the other hand the experience I gained there will help me in my future endeavors. As I was finishing up one of the last sections of the documentation I was impressed with what I had created. The layout was clean and the wording was clear without being too complex for the average user. When I started the company had no clear documentation of what to do if anything happened to the computers systems and now I leave them with documentation that will make it possible for anyone at the company to fix it. I leave with a sense of accomplishment and pride in the fact that I alone made all of that happen. All that experience will have to now be translated to an updated resume I can assure you of that!

This post seems to have gone from not being sure what to write about to a quick summary of the last week in my life. I like the way it looks and doing a quick summation of my life once a week is a nice break from all the other writing I have been doing.

Dad and I working the Lehigh Limited.
I'll close out this post with a quick side note. Tomorrow it will be exactly 35 years since my Father first started working for the railroad as an extras clerk for Conrail working in the freight yards. Over the past 35 years he's risen from an extra clerk to an assistant director of crew scheduling at one of the top commuter railroads in the country. His wealth of knowledge and experience will surely be missed as he will be retiring at the end of this month. Congratulations Dad and good luck in your future adventures as a retired railroader. I know you'll find ways to keep yourself busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment