Saturday, February 22, 2014

Best pizza in the whole world

Last night, for the first time in a long time my mother made pizza. Her pizza is the best pizza I have ever eaten and I have several people who will agree with me. She used to make it every Friday when we were growing up but after I went to college and she started working more that stopped. Mom makes the dough from scratch and creates pizzas that are out of this world.

Yesterday she made 4 pies including, plain, pepperoni, cheese fry, and pesto with ricotta cheese and fresh tomatoes. I myself prefer the classics so I only eat the plain and pepperoni but what she creates with the special pies is amazing. Particularly the pesto pie, according to Marlee it tasted amazing and was so delicious. I remember growing up and having homemade pizza every Friday, it was one of the highlights of the week for me because it meant good pizza, maybe watch a movie with the family, it was a good way to start the weekend.

When I was in school, I used to invite friends over to eat my moms pizza, I considered it a special right if you were invited to eat it. Like a secret moms' pizza club. In my mind if you were invited to enjoy her pizza it meant I saw you as a good friend. Not many people get to enjoy her pizza but the ones who do universally agree it's amazing. The one comment I get all the time from people who eat it is,"wow there is cheese in the crust!" it's like the one thing everyone loves. Mom started putting cheese in the crust a long time ago because we asked about it and to this day she still does it.

I always seem to take for granted the fact that my mother cooks for us all the time. A lot of people I know are lucky to get a couple home cooked meals a week. It's something that I grew up with and to me it's something I will miss when I eventually move. If anything it makes me want to learn how to make my own pizza as well as lots of other dishes. I can't rely on her to make dinner forever so I better start learning how to cook now.

One of the dinners Marlee and I have made
Luckily since dating Marlee the two of us have been learning to cook. It's a fun experience to learn with someone who is at the same level as me. We make a couple basic dishes and are always trying new things. It's a great way to learn as well as a great way to spend time together. Nothing is more fun then cooking a nice dinner with her.

Learning to cook is an essential life skill and one that I hope to master. I can't imagine not cooking, it's fun and cooking a meal yourself makes it taste that much better. Maybe one day I'll make pizza from scratch for my mother and let her enjoy it completely like I do every time she makes it.

No comments:

Post a Comment